The War To End War (WWI)
Author Visit/In-House Field Trip for Schools GRADES 5-12
Virtual Visits Available
Few Americans know much about World War I. Maybe because I'm a Brit, I'm fascinated by it. It's not only a subject I find interesting as a historian, but also one that I consider personal: I am the great-granddaughter and great-great-niece of young men who died in the trenches. The impact of WWI on British society is a theme of two of my books, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When, and of One Way or Another, the first and last books of The Snipesville Chronicles series.
As in my books, my primary concern isn't the battlefield (although I certainly will make this meaningful to your students). It's not the causes of the War, although I may touch on those, too. Rather, it's about two deeply divided societies, Britain and the United States, that entered into this cataclysm, and the massive changes that the war caused in both. World War I was a massive turning point in history. That's my most pressing concern, because it continues to reverberate in how we speak, how we dress, how we act, and how we think.
- Program Length: 90 minutes (after audience seated); Max. Three Sessions per Day
- Recommended Audience Ages: Grades 5-12
- Also Available via Zoom/Video. Program length may vary from in-person presentation.
- Recommended Audience Size: 60-80 For the best possible experience for the students, divide a single grade into three sessions for the day. This allows more students to participate as volunteers, a closer view of the artifacts, and the best rapport between Annette and the audience.
- Maximum Audience Size: 150
- Social Studies Curriculum Relevance: Connects to study of World War I (United States and/or Europe) Develops critical thinking skills and historical literacy, including in dealing with primary sources.
- May be combined in a single day with A Writer's Life, for a total of three sessions
- Cost: Please contact us. We have a holistic approach to pricing, and will want to know some details about your school. Be assured that prices are very reasonable!
Why Don't We Just Give the Price? Each school is different. We don't want to announce a rack rate and frighten you away if you have limited resources. There are discounts and alternatives to make Annette's programs accessible to every school, and many of our clients are Title I schools in rural areas. Asking questions doesn't commit you, and we want to hear from you!
Sign up for Annette's Newsletter